The San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) is celebrating San Diego County equity champions in the community and the classroom with inaugural Lighthouse Awards given to honorees at the Equity Conference 2020.
A lighthouse helps guide navigation and often provides a beacon of hope as we sail through potentially rough waters. Our challenges may be financial, personal, business, or spiritual in nature. The lighthouse metaphor speaks of safety and security in the face of adversity and challenge in a unique way.
The SDCOE Lighthouse Awards will be presented to people who are beacons in the educational community by channeling and leading others in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Turnaround School Leader award goes to a school administrator who fosters and leads equitable outcomes for all learners and has been a beacon of light for an entire community.
- Turnaround Teacher award is for a classroom teacher who embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion and has helped achieve positive social and academic outcomes for all students.
- Turnaround Support Staff award goes to a school counselor, nurse, school psychologist, paraprofessional, or others who actively supports all students, in pursuit of academic and/or social emotional excellence.
- Equity Champion award is for a community leader who encompasses the light necessary for people to come together and create multiple opportunities for all students and families in pursuit of equitable outcomes and opportunities.
- No Place for Hate Leader goes to an active member of his/her/their school’s No Place for Hate® advisory committee and demonstrates leadership ability in his/her/their role on the committee and throughout the school community. This person embodies the values of No Place for Hate® laid out in the Resolution of Respect by ADL
Criteria: Nominees should actively promote the concept of diversity, equity, and inclusion by positively enhancing or contributing to the overall environment and achievement of students.
Nomination Process: Nominations will be open from Nov. 11 through Dec. 9.
Presentation of Awards: A committee will review all nominations and make final determinations of awardees. Lighthouse Awards will be given to finalists at EC2020.
The San Diego County Office of Education is celebrating San Diego County equity champions in the community and the classroom in the first Lighthouse Awards given to honorees at the Equity Conference 2020. Nominees should actively promote the concept of diversity, equity, and inclusion by positively enhancing or contributing to the overall environment and achievement of students. Use this form to nominate someone for the Turnaround School Leader, Turnaround Teacher, Turnaround Support Staff, Equity Champion, or No Place for Hate Leader.
- Clearly state how nominee demonstrates commitment
Cite specific examples of leadership behavior and positive interactions
- Describe how students benefit from nominee’s work
- Include specific examples, quotes, feedback, other evidence
Recognition Information: Explain in detail with examples, if possible, of how the nominee demonstrates the award criteria, including how students have been impacted by their work.
Nomination FormLighthouse Awards Letter (PDF)